Just over 2 years ago we had our fourth living baby, Joel Kent. Oh, what a blessing he is! Since that time I’ve often thought about this verse above and how it is true in my life. I know Jesus washes away my sins, so how can such a painful process save me more? Perhaps it is not just the anguish of child-bearing, but the pains of raising children that bring us daily to the foot of the Cross.
23 years ago we had our first baby and didn’t know a bundle about raising kids. But we tried…taking our kids to church, saying grace at meals and prayers at bedtime. I ponder what life would be like if I wasn’t a mom. Would I be as strong a Christian? I don’t think so.
I look back on how my faith has increased because of our children…
- How we prayed for our first child right after we were married, and God answered our prayers in just a year!
- How our little girl needed heart surgery at 8 months old and we were covered in prayer by our friends and church.
- How God blessed us with a son before we even asked!
- How we took our kids to sing in the cherub choir. My friend Jill gave each student a cassette tape of scripture memory songs that we still play today.
- How God called us to homeschool our kids, putting us in touch with really strong Christian families.
- How I prayed and prayed for 7 years for our second son to be born, and God answered my prayers!!
- How I sat with my kids each morning on the sofa, reading Awana books and listening to their Bible memory verses.
- How I prayed for late hikers, late arrivers, kids at church camp, kids in foreign countries, kids at college, etc.
- How I prayed and prayed for 12 years for our next child, and God carried us through the loss of 3 babies, and then answered our prayer.
- How I pray now that the Lord will help us to bring up this special gift to love and know Him. Oh, what an independent handful, yet so sweet, is our fourth child. More than ever, I pray for him to know Jesus.
Without our dear kids…I would not have come before the throne of God so many times in prayer. I would not have had to put my trust completely in the King of kings and Lord of lords. I would have been much more selfish and self-reliant. But because of our children, I depend on Jesus.
Yes, it must be true for many moms, we are saved through child-bearing (and Jesus!).
Today’s TEA CUPP: “Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved, you and your household.” (Acts 16:31, NKJV) is all we need for salvation. So what does child-bearing do for us? As with any trial, it can bring us to the Author of our faith, Jesus Christ! If you are a mom, can you remember how having children has brought you closer to the Lord? Can you see how your children have given you more faith, love, holiness and self-control? Thank the Lord today for His gift of child-bearing.
Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need. Hebrews 4:16 (NKJV)